Lead by enthusiasts and advocates, the NHS Python Community for Healthcare is an open community of practice that champions the use of the python programming language and open code in the NHS and healthcare sector
Community Slack Channel
The NHS Python Community for Healthcare is open to anyone interested in championing the use of Python and open code in the NHS and healthcare sector. Please join us on slack to find out more.Join NHS Pycom Slack
Python is an open source, state of the art programming language, used by developers, data scientists, and data engineers. Python's widespread adoption is, in part, due to its accessible 'human readable' syntax, making it relatively easy to pick up and learn.
Along with other open source analytics tools such as R, Python will be essential to drive the 21st century digital transformation of health care.
Principles and aims of the Python Community
- Promote the use of python in the healthcare by celebrating success and recognising contributions across the community
- Reduce barriers to entry by highlighting best practice with regard to software, IT operations, security, and coding in the open
- Open source and publish code to public GitHub repositories under appropriate licences (such as MIT, OGLv3, and GPLv3) alongside suitable open datasets or synthetic data so that our work can be further developed, re-used, and improved upon by everyone in the community
- Break down silos of expertise and improve technical communication and collaboration across the NHS, health and social care sectors
- Champion diversity, inclusion, and representation in tech by making coding accessible to all members of the community regardless of background or current level of ability